After my list of Things I Learned During My Time in Ukraine, I knew I needed to once again verbalize some of what I’ve learned during this incredible experience abroad.
So here it is…a list of just a few of the many, many things I’ve learned while traveling and living abroad these past few months:
- Traveling is about the people. The sights are fun, but the people make it all worth it.
- You will make mistakes when traveling somewhere new. Sometimes you’ll know you’re making them, and other times you’ll be oblivious, but you will do things wrong. And that’s okay.
- Always appreciate where you are at. Find the beauty there. What is familiar to you is probably new and interesting to someone seeing it with fresh eyes.
- Be willing to set aside the map and get wonderfully lost. What you discover when you do this will be what you will remember in years to come.
- There is nothing that makes the world so big as having friends all over the world. There is nothing that makes the world so small as having friends all over the world.
- Don’t be afraid to travel solo. You are stronger and safer than you think. You will be okay. You will discover so much. You will explore, make memories, and meet people. And you will learn so much about yourself and be all the better for it.
- None of my shoes are suitable for the amount of walking required by a world traveler. Not a single pair. haha…
- Take pictures. Put aside your fear of looking like a tourist or of asking someone to take a picture for you. Any embarrassment you feel in the moment will be far less than the regret you’ll have later when the memories are fading and you have no pictures to look back to.
- Comfort zones are meant to be broken.
- “It is better to see something once than to hear about it a thousand times.” ~Korean Proverb
But seriously. No amount of pictures, video, or description can compare to the real thing.
- Goodbyes are absolutely heartbreaking. But they are the proof that you have experienced something wonderful and meaningful. They are a sign of a rich experience and wonderful friendship.
- Adventure really is the best way to learn.
- If home is where the heart is, then I have no home. Because pieces of my heart are scattered all over this big ol’ world.