Now that I’ve had a couple weeks to catch my breath after returning from my amazing 5-week internship in Ukraine, it’s just about time to head off again on a new adventure…this time in Bangor, Wales!
That’s right, on Sunday I will once again be boarding a plane to take me across the ocean. This coming fall semester I will be studying abroad in one of the most beautiful countries in the world (or so I’m constantly told).
Bangor is a lovely rural city located on the northern coast of Wales. It is classified as one of Britain’s smallest cities with a population of around 14,000 (not including the 10,000 students that attend Bangor University)–though that seems fairly big to this small-town girl.
For the fall semester, I will be attending Bangor University, where I’ll be taking an Intro to Wales class and Outdoor Pursuits (we’ll talk about this later when I get over my absolute TERROR) with the group from Central College Abroad, as well as some literature courses at the university with other students from the UK! I’ll also be living in university housing–just another way to get out of my ‘American bubble’! I’m super excited to just immerse myself in another culture and to really get to know Bangor and the students who study there.
BUT…as this is my last week at home, there’s definitely tons to do…
- Thankfully, I’m just about finished with deep cleaning (err…semi-deep cleaning) my room… Those of you who know me (or at least know my reputation for my messy room), know this has been no small task. Many days, hours, and 2 audio books have been put into this task!
- So now comes the fun: packing. This meme basically sums up how I feel about life right now:
How exactly is one supposed to pack for 4 months, and basically three different seasons? This is the challenge I will be exploring today…
- An even greater challenge, however, is learning to cook. There is no meal plan for the semester. I can’t cook. Like, at all. I can bake with the best of them–I’ll whip up a batch of cookies, any kind of pie, and a chocolate cake that will make you cry because it’s so delicious…but when it comes to *real* food, I’m clueless. Absolutely clueless. Sooo….this will be an interesting semester. I might starve. Or I might be eating chocolate chip oatmeal cookies for every meal. Anyway, these next few days might be cram-cooking-lessons.
- Still to be done is my prep-research…because why wouldn’t I procrastinate about homework that’s not even really homework? #mylife
- Also, I need to prep my mind for another loooooong international flight. Because, let me tell you, that’s the one thing I’m dreading. I’m so pumped to get to Wales, but not ready for another long flight. All the people that tell you they are fun are LYING! I was super excited when I boarded my NINE AND A HALF HOUR flight on the way to Ukraine… Sure, the first couple hours are great: MOVIES! MUSIC! GAMES! FOOD, so much food!!…but then the 5-hours-left mark hits, and it’s death. Thankfully though, this flight will be shorter than my flight to Ukraine. :)
- Last thing to do: prep my mind for the fact that I am actually, truly, finally STUDYING ABROAD!! This has been an (almost) life-long dream of mine, and I can’t believe it’s really happening! I want to make the most of every moment and experience…I want to see things I’ve never seen before, try things I’ve never tried before (Outdoor Pursuits + weird foods will take care of that), and make lots and lots of memories.
So, here we go! The countdown begins. Wales, I’ll see you soon!